www.flickr.com
Works in progress mcc01001's Works in progress photoset

www.flickr.com
Finished projects mcc01001's Finished projects photoset

I'm not planning on ANYTHING until this Icelandic sweater is complete!

... although I do have thoughts of finishing the purple baby sweater for my friend and making a bright pink fluffy scarf for Dave's cousin, but we'll see

James Blunt - Back to Bedlam

Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams

Audioslave - Out of Exile

Food Network

Rachael Ray's Salami Scrambles

Swiss Cheese Scramble - Breakfast Casserole

Spinach & Artichoke Dip

Some Christmas Ideas

Name:

I am a true New Englander living in Florida with my husband for the year where I am finishing up my last year of graduate school. I was recently married to my amazing husband in June and am loving every moment of creating our home together, along with our kitties Lily and Socrates. Life gets busy, so I am continually striving to balance work and play time, and enjoy all the moments along the way!

Subscribe with Bloglines

Powered by Blogger

Site Meter

Thursday, March 16, 2006

my iceland adventures!

Wow, it's been a really, really, really long time since I've posted on my blog.... Well, I've been pretty busy since then with school and all. Oh, and I just got back from Iceland! My mom is there for a month and I went with my gramma to visit her for a week. We stayed at a place called The Blue Lagoon and it was absolutely amazing. The landscape, the sites, and the people were all fantastic. It was such a great way to visit a new country, escape the real world for a while, and just relax. Here are a few photos of our trip: CLICK ON THE PICTURE FOR A LARGER IMAGE.

This is where we floated around in the water all day. The water was so warm and blue, and there was always steam coming from the water because the air was so cold.


Here I am with the silica on my face -- it's filled with tons of minerals that are great for your skin and is an excellent exfolliant.


My mom's friend owns a hotel there and this is the view of the snow covered lava fields and mountains from her restaurant.


We took a drive up the coast the day after a snow storm. What a view!

Oh! And I got back into the knitting groove!!!! Iceland is well-known for it's sheep and yarn. One of the highlights of the trip was visiting the Alafoss Factory Outlet where I purchased a whole bunch of yarn to make my first sweater! I absolutely love the Iceandic sweaters, and some the Icelandic women we met at The Blue Lagoon helped me with a pattern and get started on knitting one of my own. Everyone was so helpful, it was wonderful. Especially because my pattern is written in ICELANDIC!!! One of the women brought in her daughter's sweater so that I could try it on:

This picture was taken on the deck right out of our room. You can see that I'm practically standing in the moss covered lava fields! What a gorgeous view to wake up to every morning!

Oh, so about the sweater I'm wearing in the picture... I'm going to make the same design, but with different colors. My main color (the body) will be charcoal and the colors in the pattern will be white and a natural wool color (light brown).

I'll post pictures of my yarn and the progress I've made later...... stay tuned....


Comments on "my iceland adventures!"

 

Blogger dingobear said ... (10:13 PM) : 

Very nice photos. Thinking of going to Iceland myself as part of a spring vacation to Europe. Besides the Blue Lagoon, any other sites you would recommend?

 

Blogger Megan said ... (8:46 PM) : 

hey dingobear... we mostly stayed in the blue lagoon and reykjavik area, but my family has traveled to the north to do some skiing, and there's a great drive along the southern coast to a town called vik where you can see the glaciers.

 

Blogger dingobear said ... (11:46 PM) : 

Thanks for the ideas Megan, will definitely consider them. (After all, can't go to Iceland without seeing a glacier or two). Still awaiting the arrival of my Iceland Lonely Planet from amazon.com ... and if you don't mind, maybe I'll check back in at a later date to get your opinions on some other spots. Thanks again.

 

Blogger Maggie Tipping said ... (2:50 PM) : 

Hey,

I am going to Iceland for 8 weeks at the end of April. Can you tell me how much the yarn you purchased was? Or how much you found yarn was there generally? I don't know how much yarn is there so I don't know how much wool I should bring with me, or if I should just buy yarn there. That sweater is BEAUTIFUL!!! Could you tell me how to get to that outlet store?

Thanks!

Maggie

Ps: you can post on my blog at maggieiniceland.blogspot.com or send me an email m.stanley@dal.ca I would really appreciate it!

 

post a comment